Thursday, October 3, 2013

*Women who choose to be surrogates, no matter where they live, should be honoured and praised for the very hard job they do. They provide a service that is hard on them physically and mentally all so someone who wants a child can have one. I respect and admire these women. As well, it is their bodies. They can choose what to do with them. It is disrespectful and misogynistic for anyone to tell them they can't do this just because they find it morally uncomfortable. Either a woman's body is hers to do with as she pleases or it isn't and it is the property of some man. Take your pick.

**People don't have an issue with American women being surrogates, and they are paid. And the approximately $15,000. an American gets paid does not help the American nearly as much as the $8,000. is going to help the Indian woman. Yet nobody says the American woman is being exploited. I think this is a good way for some poor women to make some serious cash. I wish I was younger and healthier, because I would do this. The money is life changing for the surrogate, and the baby is life changing for the infertile couple. It's a win/win situation. Now, if they have a library for the surrogates, and perhaps have them take a few online courses while they are staying there, that would be awesome. Imagine how empowering $8,000. and some knowledge is to an Indian woman. This is not exploitation at all.

**If this works for some people, then more power to them. I cannot imagine trying to have a baby for so many years and it not working out or having so many miscarriages. I am assuming that people want their own biological child over adopting one (and I respect their feelings about that) and it is probably cheaper than adopting a child in the US which is pretty sad. Especially in a country like India where men seem to have an advantage, why not give women the opportunity to be financially independent/stable?

**Obviously these women are choosing to be surrogate mothers they're not being forced. So in this case I see no issues. It seems to me to be a win win. These women get money that they desperately need and a couple gets a baby of their own that they've been wanting so desperately.

**As long as the "mothers" are being taken extra special care of, I think it's great! If a woman is willing to help another woman, it's a good thing regardless of what country she is from.

**It does raise ethical issues. But on the other hand, you are paying someone in China a minimal wage to build (create) your IPAD or IPhone so you can enjoy that. How does that differ from someone building (creating) a baby so you can love and raise it?

**The only thing I take issue with here is her assertion that an Indian woman can't bond with a white baby, even one she birthed. My son is not white and I am, and we bonded just fine! Otherwise though I don't have a problem with what they're doing.

**I was a gestational surrogate here in the US. And surrogates are paid far greater than $15K. The average is about $25K for a single, and upwards of $30K for multiples. 7 years ago, I was paid $20K for a single birth. But by the time you add attorney fees, medical coverage, life insurance, agency fees and IVF, it usually ends up costing the expectant parents $100K to $150K!! But I can see why people chose to go to India. First, it's far less expensive. Second, they have the opportunity to be involved every step of the way. I carried for a couple who lived on the other side of the country, and were only able to attend the birth because we scheduled an induction a week before the due date. Third, by having the baby in India and then bringing it here, there is far less risk of the surrogate wanting to be involved in the child's life. My contract actually stated my family and I (me, husband and children) were allowed 2 hours with the baby once it was born!! Needless to say, I did not enforce it. I never even held the baby, it wasn't mine to hold!
As far as the adoption comments, all I can say is this - my brother was adopted, although I loved him completely, he had severe mental and emotional issues which my parents were never told about. He was the product of rape, and displayed anger and rage from a very young age. Sadly, he killed himself and his best friend by intentionally driving into a tree at 65 mph, all because the friend didn't want to see the same movie my brother did. The other friend who did survive the wreck is paralyzed. My brother was 24, his friend 25. A parent knows a the genetic make up of a child born via surrogate (unless an egg or sperm donor is used), but could be playing a game of Russian roulette with a child who is adopted.

**I don't think their is anything wrong with surrogacy, it can be a wonderful thing. However I did find the part of the article disturbing where it mentioned that sometimes the surrogates are expected to care and breastfeed the infants while their biological parents work on paper work for a few weeks. Um, if you can afford to fly & live in India for your baby to be born then don't you think they could afford to purchase formula? It was also a little weird to state "these are Indian women giving birth to white babies so their is no emotional connection". Hmmm.... interesting.

**It is easy to criticized people when you have not being in the situation of wanting a child and not being able to have it. I being in fertility treatments for 7 years! I being in an ADOPTION list for 2!... What else we can do? I will not mind trying surrogacy in India as Canada is very unregulated compare to other countries, surrogacy here is very secretive and not easy... because is illegal to pay for it, but not illegal to cover expenses related to the pregnancy..


0 comments:

Post a Comment